FIELD No.17 - Ericaceous Topsoil Blend
Ericaceous Topsoil blend is a special purpose low pH growing media for plants that prefer acidic conditions. It is ideal for use in pots, planters and raised beds when growing species such as Rhododendrons, Pieris, Azalea’s, Magnolia’s and Camelia’s.
It is manufactured from naturally enriched acid soil recovered from a heathland restoration project in the East of England
- Field No.17 contains balanced levels of major nutrients and trace elements that will be slowly released to meet the plants requirements.
- Field No.17 is a stable blend of organic substrates that maintain critical physico-chemical properties such as pH and electrical conductivity so as to hold nutrients in the root zone whilst reducing leaching.
- Field No.17 is free draining whilst holding some moisture in the root zone reducing the requirement for irrigation during hot, dry summer weather conditions.
- Field No.17 contains naturally high levels of potash that will assist herbaceous species in resisting cold and frost during the winter.
How do you use it?
1. Prepare the container or raised bed, ensuring it is able to drain excess water through the base.
2. Remove the plant from its current pot and gently tease out the roots.
3. Fill the base of the pot/container/raised bed with the Field No.17 so that the top of the root ball sits just below the top of the pot/container/raised bed.
4. Fill the area around the plant with Field No.17, firming it in as you go so as to eliminate air pockets.
5. Water in according to the weather conditions. If planted indoors or in a pot standing on a hard area, make sure there is an adequate drip tray/saucer to collect excess water.
6. Once planted in a pot it is a good idea to apply a mulch product such as the Field No. 11 Pot Mulch to depth of about 15mm.
Alternatively if planting in a raised bed apply Field No.8 Contract Ornamental around the plant to a depth of 75-100mm. This will help hold moisture in the pot/container/raised bed, suppress the growth of weeds and liverworts, plus provide an aesthetically pleasing finish.
ing ericaceous plants or wild flowers let us know and we can blend a product accordingly.
Please don't hesitate to contact us for the following:
- Prices for products collected from our yard near Haverhill in Suffolk.
- Expert advice and further information on our products.
- Trade prices and information.
- We can make bespoke mixes to meet your requirements
Contact us for details