Field No.16 Tree and Shrub planting compost is specifically designed to give trees, shrubs and perennials the perfect head start when planting out into areas where the existing soil/substrate is lacking in organic matter and the nutrients required for healthy plant growth. This product is typically used by commercial landscaping contractors on larger planting schemes where the top soil is already in-situ and of a sub-optimal quality. Field No.16 is particularly beneficial when commercial constraints mean planting needs to take place outside of the ideal planting season of October to April.
How do you use it?
1. Simply dig the planting pit two to three times the size of the root ball/pot as normal and then blend the Field N. 16 at a ratio of 50:50 with the excavated soil.
2. Remove the plant from its pot and gently tease out the roots.
3. Loosen the base of the pit with a fork and then fill the planting pit with the mixture so that the plant sits slightly proud of the surrounding soil. If planting large trees or shrubs it is advisable to attach a stake or root ball anchor system at this stage.
4. Fill the area around the plant with the remaining mixture, firming it in as you go so as to eliminate air pockets.
5. Water in according to the weather conditions.
6. Once planted it is a good idea to apply a mulch such as the Field 8 contract ornamental around the plant to a depth of 75-100mm. This will help hold moisture in soil, suppress the growth of weeds and provide an aesthetically pleasing finish to the planted area.